Tuesday 15 April 2014

Ile de Re - post 1

For the Easter break my family and I are visiting the Ile de Re. The Ile de Re is an island off the coast of France, and is simply beautiful.
You can only get to the island by boat or bridge, and it's costs €8 off peak to cross the bridge and €16 at peak times. 

We have been here since Saturday and I thought I would do my first blog post about it! 

The Ile de Re is a very flat island, therefore most people own bikes and travel everywhere by bike, we have hired bikes for the whole week, and have not driven anywhere! 

We are staying in the town called St Martin de Re and it is beautiful, it is right on the coast, has a stunning harbour, lots of cute shops, restaurant and ice cram parlours and also a sandy beach - Plenty of opportunity to take some gorgeous photographs.



Today we cycled from our town to a place called Loix (see map), a village along the coast from us, the whole cycle was 24km in total. Despite the strong winds battling against us it was a beautiful sunny day and a lovely bike ride. We took a picnic with us and ate it sheltering away from the wind and also had a drink in a cafe in Loix. The views on route we gorgeous, with views of the choppy sea, pretty villages and oyster farms too. We even passed a trendy oyster bar where you could eat your oysters whilst looking out to sea!




In the evening we went out for dinner at a typical French restaurant. The restaurant was called Cote Jardin, and we sat outside in the covered, heated garden. In the summer the garden is not covered and you can enjoy sitting under the vines and trees. For starter I ate pork terrine with French bread, this is my favourite kind of starter as I adore terrine and pate. For main my sister and I both enjoyed the steak (medium). This was severed with potatoes, salad and a delicious sauce. The steak was cooked to perfection and utterly divine! For dessert I enjoyed melt in the middle chocolate pudding (moelleux au chocolat), again this is one of my favourite puddings. I even cook a superb version myself (recipe to follow when I return to England!). The chocolate pudding was served with cream and creme anglaise. 







See you tomorrow xoxo



No comments:

Post a Comment