I first made Hidden Oreo Cupcakes, these have a secret Oreo hidden at the bottom of them and are topped with tasty Oreo butter icing.
For these I used a traditional chocolate sponge recipe/method. Again I used the technique that I read about in a magazine where you weigh the eggs before hand and then all the ingredients follow the weight of the eggs. My 2 large eggs weighed 130 grams, therefore all the ingredients followed this. You will need to adapt the recipe to whatever your eggs weigh. For the dry ingredients they need to add up to the 130g also otherwise the mixture becomes too dense. I used 100g flour and 30g of cocoa powder, and this was the perfect chocolate ratio!
This recipe made 14 cupcakes.
2 eggs (130g grams)
130g butter, at room temperature
130g caster sugar
130g dry ingredients, therefore 100g self raising flour and 30g of cocoa powder
1tsp baking powder
250g icing sugar, sifted
80g unsalted butter, at room temperature
4-5 Oreo's, crushed
1) Preheat the oven to 180c
2) Cream the butter and sugar together in an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, and the dry ingredients and beat until all combined and smooth.
3) Place a whole Oreo at the bottom of all the cupcake cases
4) Top the Oreo's with the cake mixture
5) Cook in the oven for 15-20 minutes until a skewer comes out clean and the sponge bounces back when touched.
6) Leave to cool on a baking rack
7) Whisk the icing sugar, butter and milk in a mixer until combined on a slow speed. Then turn the mixer up to high speed and whisk until fluffy, the longer you mix the fluffier the icing!
8) Add the crushed Oreo's and mix until all combined.
9) When the cupcakes are cooled pipe the icing on top
Next I made Mars Bar and Oreo Mousse, these are a Mars Bar chocolate mousse topped with crushed Oreo's - delicious!
These are perfect for a dinner party as can be made well in advance and kept in the fridge. Additionally the individual portions/ramekins are ideal!
4 standard (51g) Mars Bars, chopped into pieces
4 tbsp cocoa powder
3 large egg whites
6-7 Oreo's, crushed
1) Put the Mars Bars, milk and cocoa powder in a saucepan. Heat on a low heat until all melted.
2) Leave to cool for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally to ensure that no lumps form.
3) Whisk the egg whites until softly peaking.
4) Fold in a quarter of the chocolate sauce. Once incorporated fold in the remaining mixture.
5) If there are any bits or lumps, whisk quickly with an electric whisk to ensure a smooth mixture
6) Spoon into individual ramekins and place in the fridge to set.
7) After an hour or so, sprinkle the Oreo's on top of the mousse then place back in the fridge ready to eat when necessary.
Happy Oreo Baking!! xoxo